Open Table UCC is an open and affirming congregation (see our official statement below) in Pottstown PA that is seeking to reimagine what it looks like to be followers of Jesus in the 21st century. You do not need to sign on to any doctrines or beliefs in order to be welcome here as we celebrate the diversity of belief inherent in the historical Christian faith. That being said, here are a few of our core values.
- Jesus Christ was a challenging, revolutionary figure in the first century and his Spirit still moves among us today. He is the head of the Church, and we seek to follow his teachings and example.
- The Bible is the inspired history of humankind's efforts to live in relationship with God, and it should be taken seriously.
- All are welcome at the table of grace, and all are welcome into our fellowship.
- LGBTQ+ people are created in the image of God and should be celebrated for the many ways they reflect their creator.
- We are committed to the ongoing work of antiracism, acknowledging that white supremacy has been a weapon of the Western Church for centuries, so it is our duty to dismantle it.
- Western civilization has disconnected itself from the Earth and is responsible for the widespread destruction of creation. By committing ourselves to environmental justice, we are not only making the world a more livable place, but rediscovering God's spirit living and moving in all things.
- We are bound together by our common love, not our common beliefs. Wherever you find yourself on your faith journey, you are still welcome here.
- We are a community of faith that is planted in Pottstown, and we are primarily committed to the people and issues that are present here.
What will you bring to our fellowship? How will your contribution shape who we will become?
Our Open and Affirming Covenant
Open Table United Church of Christ is a faith community founded on the expansive and expanding love of God as made known by Jesus Christ. We affirm the worth, dignity, and inherent belovedness of all people, celebrating our various genders, sexual orientations, gender identities/expressions, abilities, ages, races, nationalities, faith backgrounds, marital standings, and family configurations.
We seek not to erase our distinctions, but to embrace the many ways our diversity reflects our infinite God. We acknowledge the historical Church’s role in the ongoing persecution of those in the LGBTQIA+ community, and commit ourselves to loving louder than the hate.
Though we are founded on these ideals, we acknowledge that we are a work in progress, and that there is always room to grow. We trust that the ever-present Spirit of God will continue to give us new opportunities to expand our love and our reach. No matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here.